SGC’s Climate Change Research (CCR) Program is updating its existing Research Investment Plan in 2021. The CCR team is undertaking the Research Investment Plan update in tandem with the development of the 2021 State Adaptation Strategy Update. You can find more information here on how to engage with us throughout this process.
2021 Update: SGC’s Climate Change Research Strategy and Framework
The Climate Change Research (CCR) Program’s existing Research Investment Plan guides the development and implementation of the CCR program by outlining the program goals, research priorities, program structure, program review and award process, and other administrative items. This document also provides a foundation for SGC’s research investments. Feedback and engagement with SGC’s partner agencies and stakeholders around California are critical to inform this document.
Assembly Bill 109 directs SGC to create a plan that “establishes research needs for carbon emission reductions including clean energy, adaptation, and resiliency.” The Research Investment Plan was originally published in January 2018 and states that it will be revisited and revised every three years (2021). The update to the Plan will also include SGC’s approach, vision, and strategy for funding applied, policy-relevant, and partner-driven climate change research.
Engagement Opportunities and Timeline
The CCR Program staff is partnering with the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) and the California Natural Resources Agency (CNRA) to update to the State’s Adaptation Strategy. This partnership allows for leveraging and coordination on stakeholder engagement to support multiple State policy efforts, and it will facilitate CCR staff identifying priorities and critical research and knowledge gaps by hearing directly from stakeholders, including local and regional governments, Tribes, community groups, non-profits, and others.
CCR staff are also partnering with SGC’s member agencies through the Program’s Steering Committee, SGC Key Staff, and interagency groups to ensure agency engagement and crosscutting needs inform the update.
- May 26th, 2021 - Kick-off Webinar of State Adaptation Strategy Engagement - 4:00 p.m. | Register for Kick-off Webinar
June 1–28, 2021 - State Adaptation Strategy Regional Workshops (engagement opportunities) | Register for Regional Workshops
- June 1 - Sacramento Valley: 4–6 p.m.
- June 2 - Northern Sierra Nevada: 4–6 p.m.
- June 3 - Southern Sierra Nevada: 4–6 p.m.
- June 10 - San Joaquin Valley: 4–6 p.m.
- June 16 - Los Angeles Region: 4–6 p.m.
- June 17 - San Diego Region: 4–6 p.m.
- June 21 - San Francisco Bay Area: 4–6 p.m.
- June 22 - North Coast: 4–6 p.m.
- June 24 - Inland Desserts: 4–6 p.m.
- June 28 - Central Coast: 4–6 p.m.
- August 2021 - Research Priorities gathered from engagement presented to SGC Council
- September 2021 - Research Strategy and Framework released for public comment
- December 2021 - Research Strategy and Framework presented for approval to Council
Other ways to engage with the CCR Team
CCR staff would love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com if you would like to share feedback one-on-one to inform this process, or to set up a listening session.